Friday 17 June 2016

Upon A Roman Bridge

Cordoba, Spain

Let's talk about those places we wished we'd stayed in for longer. Now, as you might already be aware of (if not, read other blog posts from earlier in this year), Spain wasn't the easiest of foreign soils for me to move around on. This is by no means intended to be a fierce criticism; I saw some nice places, met some lovely badarses and discovered the joy that is pistachio ice cream but if I was blackmailed into choosing the best land I'd ever walked upon outside of Straya I'd pick the Netherlands. That said, I REALLY DID visit some NICE places and Cordoba sits at the top of my Spanish list.



Cordoba, Spain (taken 2016)

My initial interest took off when I learnt Cordoba was used as a filming location in Game of Thrones (which is how I ended up settling on Northern Ireland and Morocco as well, go figure). The Roman Bridge filled in for the city of Volantis (where Tyrion and Varys are first seen in season 5 and where Theon's sister Yara was chasing the hookers) which did have a good look about it so upon leaving Madrid (warning, the trains felt like they were squeezing through tunnels which can induce nose bleeds) Cordoba was my first stop.

As for time spent I had a full day here which I'll always be grateful for. This little town is humbled; it's by no means in your face and that makes it shine; had I known what Seville had in store for me I would've stuck around longer. Seriously, I would have! The only let down was a bad paella loaded with broken shells. No idea if it was a local style but be mindful when in the area looking for lunch.



Cordoba, Spain (taken 2016)

Just by simply walking the cobblestone roads along white washed buildings and orange trees was blissful enough. It's most definately a place to wander around, get lost and find something you didn't think to expect. I for one found everything listed in my Lonely Planet but it was still a joy; go at the right time and you can enter the Mezquita-Catedral for free.



Cordoba, Spain (taken 2016)

A few surprises that also found me included the Plaza de las Tendillas and the Capitulares which kinda fuses the new and the old sides of Spain together.      

Cordoba, Spain (taken 2016)

On the topic of favourite stops, one I was happy to wander through was the Alcazar of the Christian Monarchs which came close to being the filming location for the Water Gardens in the show everyone keeps spoiling on the Facebook abomination. Gotta love them Sand Snakes (Team Nymeria!) and Dornish plotlines even if no one else will.


Cordoba, Spain (taken 2016)

I'm not the religious sort (an argument for me being a 'sometimes paganista' can be made) and architecture doesn't strike my fancy (YES, this was considered when booking my ticket to Europe) but walking through the Alcazar of water features, orange trees (you can eat the oranges but they're really bitter) and dodgy selfies was a highlight. THIS is what made my trip to Spain! THIS made me want to stay longer! One day I'll be back in Europe, visiting places seen and unseen, and Cordoba is going to be on that list! Alcazar, thank you!


Cordoba, Spain (taken 2016)

I know I'm using a lot of exclamation points...

One final highlight, which gives me all the more reason to appreciate the picturesque Roman Bridge, was the opportunity to 'cloud' at sunset. I'm a nature junky, through and through, and watching the clouds come and go is a passtime I for one enjoy immensely. Been going on for me since the childhood.



Cordoba, Spain (taken 2016)

At the day's close I was on the bridge, cone of pistachio making me diabetic in hand, and gazing up at the abstract shapes and shades decorating that place where birds fly. The sky at this time of day is the ultimate. This, good readers, is why I travel! 

No comments:

Post a Comment